Friday, April 13, 2007

A dog's mind

As most of you know we have had Jenny with us the last week and I have commented that she is definitely showing her age of 14. Well, yesterday Wood's grandson, Knox, came over for a visit and I don't know what passed between the two of them but they instantly became the best of friends. Jenny was racing him around the yard and they both almost tripped over each other flying around the deck in the back and leaping off onto the grass. They explored the hill and actually raced (!) up and down the driveway. You should have seen that old woman dog haul her hinie up that hill! So I was thinking.... I wonder what goes on in the mind of a dog... and I wonder how much her actions and activities are really subject to our preconceived notions of what an old dog should be like. I mean she has actually looked at us expectantly when she wanted to jump up in the chair we have set up for her to sleep in like she wanted us to pick her up and tuck her in!!!! Boy was she playing us for every little bit of extra attention and help she could. Knox had no idea that she doesn't see well and can't really hear and when we told him so, he said "I'm going to have to talk to Bryan about that". So much for my credibility :-)

No comments: