Saturday, June 25, 2011

May 2011 Vacation Day 6- Friday Redwood National park

On Friday we headed through Redwood National park. Our first stop was at the Ranger station, which was a great plan since he told us all the great places to go and see in just one day. I could spend a year there and not see enough to satisfy me, I think. Redwood National park is heaven to me. Our first stop was Lady Bird Johnson Grove, where this giant stood watch. I truly did not realize that the effort to preserve the redwoods just came about when I was a kid. I am so thankful to Lady Bird Johnson for this AND her beautify America campaign. Remember her "Keep America Beautiful" and not throwing trash out the window of the car. Seems unimaginable that people ever even did that without thinking. Showed the picture below to my oldest grandson to give him an idea of just how big the trees are and he said, "Bopp, it is the perspective.... look how far away you are from Wood". Yah he is pretty smart for a 6 year old.... but gee they really really are big trees. I would love to have a conversation with one of them. Ron S., this picture is for you, so you can see how long Wood's hair is. We drove on Newton B Drury Scenic parkway.. which the ranger said was even better than Avenue of the Giants. Boy was he right. We took the turn off to see the 'big tree'. We hiked a little more throughout the park and then headed away from the park and the ocean and turned inland for the next phase of our trip... a fun filled visit with the Budds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very scenic! MAkes me want to take a trip there soon.