Sunday, June 11, 2006

Biltmore House

Last weekend we went to the Biltomore estate in Asheville, NC. First of all I love Asheville. I think I would like to live there. Second this was built by George Vanderbilt and had over 60 bedrooms and as many bathrooms. The audio tour is a must. Next time I think we will take some behind the scenes tours.Some of the plaster work on the outside was so interesting. Not sure how many different figurines there were all over the whole outside of the house. I did see some repeated. But they were really quite whimsical. The Gardens outside were gorgeous. George originally owned all the land to the mountains see far in the backround. I believe now some of those lands are either a national or state park. But he was primarily responsible for reforesting the land between his and the mountains.

2 comments:

anne said...

Oh, wow! That view is amazing with the mountains in the background.

Sarah said...

wow. that's a lot of yard work :)

looks beautiful