Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Pettit Creek Farms

Ooh how I wish I had taken pictures of this place. Last year we looked for Christmas trees here, decided they were a little too pricey and then regretted later that we didn't take the plunge and get one. So this year we drove over Monday afternoon to get a tree. Ok, this is just a Christmas tree lot on the side and really an animal rescue place for real. It is in Cartersville and they have who knows how many acres where they keep their rescued buffalo (0r are they bison- they have 2 now), camels (dromedary's- the one hump kind... they have about 5), the tallest pig I have ever seen, various goats, emus, ostriches, chickens, ducks (they may have arrived on their own though- when we drove by the little pond on the way out, they were all butt up under water eating- now that was quite a sight), reindeer, lambs, peacocks and the requisite dogs and cats. Not really sure if it is a rescue place or not, but they do collect a weird variety of animals and then make sure they are well taken care of. They have a hay ride thing at halloween and then they 'decorate' for Christmas and give car 'tours' through the property. It is all very down home and relaxed and fun. I made a fast friend in Duke, the black Great Dane, while we were picking out our tree. He is 5'9" when he stands up on his back legs, but he just loved melding in too my body (you know how a big dog just kind of leans and leans into you until you have to lean back or you will be knocked over) while I scratched his head and face. I love this place! maybe we will drive back so i can take pictures to post. Oh and Sarah, Stone Mtn is about an hour away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun place to get a tree and to build fun memories!h

anne said...

I could just imagine what you are describing. I love the "butt-up" scene and I know exactly what you mean with the big dog melding into you. It's so wierd that they always do that.