Friday, December 29, 2006

Nutcracker at the Fox 2006

Last night Wood and his mom and I went to see the Nutcracker Ballet at the Fox theater - we also saw it there in 2004. Before the show started we were entertained by the Fabulous Fox theater organ player all decked out in a sparkly silver jacket -( I snuck a picture...well me and about 200 other people)
As you can sort of tell he plays this HUGE pipe organ with more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at. I would love to hear a Bach concert on this gem. Anyway that part is always great fun and definitely worth arriving early. The first half of the Nutcracker was a little bit of a snooze. It is a two hour production with a 20 minute intermission. All the really familiar songs are in the second half and it seems like the first half is just a long setting of the stage for her dream when all the good stuff happens. Although there is giant pig being chased by a butcher (for the families Christmas dinner) and the rat king part in the first half- I was thinking this might be a little scary in this version, but I guess it was just me, cause the little kids around me were laughing when he died- it was quite melodramatic. Wow, I have not seen such excellent dancing- the lifts and the twirls and the leg extensions and gee I don't know what you call it all, but I was on the edge of my seat. It was really quite thrilling! The costumes were gorgeous. Oh- Wood and I also joined a gym yesterday. We checked a couple out and then decided... this one has great equipment, better hours and is cheaper. We start Jan 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun holiday show to go see!h