Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Biltmore Estate

Last weekend we went to Asheville and while there revisted the Biltmore estate built by George Vanderbilt about 100 years ago. We took a couple of additional tours this time that I really enjoyed. One was a rooftop tour and the other was a behind the scenes tour where I was really wowed with the technology and foresight employed at the turn of the last century in building this mansion. But I have to say the roof top tour was my favorite.There are all kinds of gargoyles and grotesques all along the roof tops and some of them are quite a kick.All along the roof top in copper are the inititials of GV for George Vanderbilt.Well copper and some gold....see the bottom right hand fleur de lis? He had them all covered in gold.I spent a bit of time just fascinated with the grotesques (no water running through them) and snapped some shots of my favorites Weird huh?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

wow! that looks like a fun place to visit.

Jane Beavis said...

So a Gargoyle has water running thru it and a Grotesque doesn't? Interesting how many of the Grotesques have boobs! Have you ever noticed the - well, I guess they're Grotesques but I used to call them Gargoyles - at the Brea Mall parking structure outside Nordstroms? Architects must have interesting fantasy lives. - Jane

Unknown said...

Very nice! I notices all the gargoyles appeared to female. Did GV have issues with females? HAHA

Unknown said...

That George Vanderbilt sure knew how to live!

Anonymous said...

The rooftop view reminds me of pictures we took in England from the rooftop of a "Stately Mansion" we visited.

Unknown said...

Great pictures. Looks like a very interesting place to visit.

anne said...

Beautiful (and interesting!). I'm glad you had a great visit!