Monday, October 12, 2009

Bear Hair Trail

Wood and I had never hiked at Vogel State Park before. It is a gorgeous place and Sue and Ron suggested we take the Bear Hair trail there, one day last week. Seemed like a great idea so we set out. We do love the Blood Mountain area in northwest Georgia. There was some hiking, some picture taking and some... fording of streams. Let me just say, Sue is a master stream forder. She justs zip zip zips right across the logs. Me, I hem and haw and look for a stick to help me balance going across. Needless to say, I was always the last across and it always took me some time and much chewing of the inside of my cheek.
Another of the streams to ford. Ok and did I mention that we sort of got lost? boy was I glad Ron had his compass and we had a map - which ended up being quite well worn by the time we were done. It was supposed to be a well marked trail, but we did meet some nice guys and their dog a couple of times on the trail and they mentioned that it gets a little confusing at the end, but just stay on the trail (if you can find it) and you will get to the end eventually. We ended up back tracking a bit and then kind of sliding down a hill that looked like it had become a popular addition to the not so easy to find trail. It wasn't the trail but it got us back to the car :-) We were rewarded for our efforts by some great views of Trahlyata Lake from the top of the trail. And I really liked this tree :-)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oooh that is an interesting tree. nice